What’s new on Northlight Images
– Photography news, information and articles
Selected news and product announcements, along with the latest articles and reviews from Keith Cooper.
There is a search box in the top right of the page – if you’re looking for something specific or have a suggestion for the site, please contact Keith and ask… If you want a product reviewed, please see our Review Policy for more details.
Specialist index pages
Latest photo news posts
More news posts further down the page…
- Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system Nikon full frame mirrorless camera system announcements and info. Press releases and pre-release information about Nikon's new camera system
- How poor is your colour management A recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- EOS M50 Information, reviews, news and firmware updates for the Canon EOS M50 24MP mirrorless camera with EF-M lens mount. 4k (24P) video
- New Tamron 17-35 zoom lens for full frame Tamron introduce the 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037) lightweight and compact full-frame lens for Canon and Nikon cameras
- Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens Initial specifications and information for the Laowa 24mm f/14 Relay 2x macro lens have been announced. A lens we first tried out at 'The Photo Show' in 2017
–More News– further down the page
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way? If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses Setting the tilt axis for tilt-shift lenses to an arbitrary angle other than vertical or horizontal, so as to match the desired plane of focus for subjects. ideal for product photography where simple untilted depth of field is not good enough.
- Aerial views of Leicester This collection of aerial photos of Leicester, shows some of the highlights of Keith's recent trip over the city. It is intended to give anyone who knows the city a very different angle on its 2000 years of history. Prints are available.
- Fixing lens aberrations for shift lenses Approaches for manually fixing lens aberrations for tilt/shift lenses. Vignetting, pincushion and barrel distortion, and chromatic aberration. What to do when you forgot to note down the settings of your T/S lens
- Rogeti TSE Frame update Rogeti have announced a minor TSE Frame update - The lens mount for the Canon TS-E17mm and TS-E24mm mk2. lenses lets you attach the lens to a tripod and shift the camera, to reduce parallax errors when stitching.
- How to use a shift lens on your camera How to use a shift lens on a camera, the results you get and why you should use one. Perspective control and changing your viewpoint with specialist lenses, Why doing it in camera beats software
- Taking better photos is up to you Taking better photos is up to you and why better kit is mostly an illusion. Looking at some simple ways to get more out of your photography and thinking about why you are doing it. The problem of wondering what to photograph next.
- Canon TS-E 24mm 3.5L II review Review of the Canon TS-E 24mm F3.5L II tilt/shift lens. Looking at lens performance, features and how and why you would use it. Comparison with the original Canon TS-E24mm lens
- Canon TS-E17mm f4L review Canon TS-E17mm f4L ultra wide tilt/shift lens review and usage guide. How using a lens with shift and tilt can make a huge difference to your photography
- ProGrade card reader and cards Review: Looking at the ProGrade USB 3.1 Gen. 2 card reader and SDXC cards. Why faster memory cards and readers make a difference and why you should consider updating your old cards. What all those little symbols on SD cards mean to you.
–More Articles– Main articles/reviews page
- DxO Optics Pro Update DxO Optics Pro v7.5.1 has integrated more than 400 new DxO Optics Modules - software update
- SpyderCheckr updated Datacolor have announced an update to the SpyderCheckr software that now works with Hasselblad's Phocus software as well as Adobe Camera Raw.
- DxO updates Optics Pro The 64-bit version of DxO Optics Pro v7.5 handles larger files – up to 200 Megapixels – Nikon D800 files. The update has nearly 200 additional DxO Optics Modules
- Prints on a wall Photos showing the mounting of a new 14 metre long print of Leicester City Centre at dusk. The print is on view at the Leicester People's Photography Gallery throughout May 2012
- X-Rite and the all new i1 Pro 2 The all new version of the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer from X-Rite. A range of profiling solutions for colour management.
- Colour management and your TV The Spyder4 TV offers a way of calibrating TVs and reference video monitors
- DxO – expands range of cameras supported DxO - expands range of cameras supported through DxO Optics Pro
- Are the camera companies looking backwards? Photography shows are meant to give an idea where the industry is going - does anyone really have any idea though? Trade shows are not showing the direction
- Three new Spyders The new Spyder4 devices: the Spyder4 Express, the Spyder4 Pro, and the Spyder4 Elite are designed to offer improved color accuracy and low luminance performance compared to the Spyder3 devices.
- X-rite updates i1 Profiler i1profiler updated.New features include the option to balance red, green and blue during monitor calibration, improved automatic monitor adjustment (ADC) during the calibration process, and support for Eizo ColorEdge displays.
- Michael Westmoreland at the LPPG Some of Michael Westmoreland's panoramic prints on show at the LPPG in Leicester. Celebrating the 80th birthday of a panoramic photography pioneer.
- New printer review on its way… iPF5100 Canon UK have kindly lent us an iPF5100 printer for a review. It's a 17" (A2) 12 ink printer with roll media support and a paper cassette for sheet media.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks