FoCal AF calibration software updated to V2.5
Reikan FoCal AF calibration software updated to V2.5
Performance and ease of use, with 6D2 and D7500 added
The Reikan FoCal lens AF adjustment software is a nifty package that Keith has used in the past for testingAF accuracy and adjustments on cameras.
A new version of the software is available, V2.5
For much more, see Keith’s FoCal review
FoCal 2.5 Key Features
- Full Canon EOS 6D Mark II support added – calibrate this camera automatically (hands free mode) with FoCal
- Full Nikon D7500 support added – calibrate this camera automatically (user assisted mode) with FoCal
- New integrated Target Distance Tool – determine required target distance without leaving FoCal
The following enhancements and fixes are included with FoCal 2.5
- Improvement to Canon support to make taking shots more reliable
- Improvement to Canon and Nikon camera connection on Mac
- Update to metadata analyser for better camera/lens recognition
- Lots of internal improvements to support future updates
Canon EOS 6D Mark 2 Fully Supported (hands free mode)
This release brings full support for the Canon 6D Mark II.
The 6D Mark II runs in Hands Free Mode, calibration is completely automated with no input from the user during the calibration process (see video showing the 5D Mark II running “hands free mode” to get an idea of what’s involved).
Nikon D7500 Fully Supported (user assisted mode)
This release brings full support for the Nikon D7500.
The Nikon D7500 runs in User Assisted Mode, most all the process is automated, users will be prompted a few times to change the AF Fine Tune during a calibration (see video showing the Nikon D800 running “user assisted mode” to get an idea of what’s involved).
New: Target Distance Tool
The new Target Distance Tool within FoCal means no need to visit the FoCal website to look up a suitable target distance (before 2.5 that meant loading up the online Target Distance Tool)
The Target Distance Tool can be found under the “Tools” tab within FoCal 2.5:
D850 and Mac High Sierra (10.13) support are also on their way
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All articles and reviews are listed on our main Articles and Reviews page, or use the search box at the top of any page. Experimental items, hacks and how-to articles are all listed in the Photo-hacks category.
Some articles that may be of interest:
- Using a tilt/shift lens - what it is they actually do
- Focus with tilted lenses - lots more information about what's going on when you tilt a lens. See also: Focusing the view camera - External link to [very] detailed coverage of camera movements
- Keith's tilt table spreadsheet (zipped file)
- Using old lenses on your DSLR - fun with adapters
- Keith's lens reviews and lens related articles
More of Keith's articles/reviews (Google's picks to match this page)