Epson Stylus Photo R3000 13 inch printer
Epson Stylus Photo R3000 A3+ printer info
13″ width pigment ink based inkjet printer
Aditional R3000 Information
Updated as we find it ( > indicates latest addition)
- > Keith’s R3000 review
- Video of R3000
- Epson US R3000 page
- R3000 brochure [PDF]
- Some of our full reviews 3800, 3880, 2880
- Review at MegaPixel
Epson R3000 features and info
- Prints at up to A3+ size
- Compact footprint
- High-capacity 25.9ml ink cartridges for medium print runs
- Front-loading fine art paper feed
- Switches automatically between photo and matte black inks
- USB, Wi-Fi and 10/100 Ethernet connectivity
- 8-colour UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta inkset for repeatable professional colour and true black and white images
- Prints on a variety of media, including roll paper, fine art paper and media up to 1.3mm thick
- 2.5-inch colour LCD
- Control panel with backlit LCD
- Supports ICC profiles
- Print high-quality A3+ photos in around 195 seconds
- Keep power consumption and energy bills down with ENERGY STAR qualified power efficiency
- PictBridge enabled to easily produce one-offs or contact sheets
- Borderless printing
- CD/DVD printing
- Variable-sized Droplet Technology with Ultra Micro Dot for 2pl minimum droplet size
- Up to 5760 x 1440 optimised dpi using Resolution Performance Management
4th At long last, our review is published.
Whilst I’ll have to wait to get a real look at a 3000 to write up any detail, it’s worth reviewing some of the features:
Looking at the R3000, the similarities to the SP3880 are quite noticeable.
Same Ink set, screening and paper paths, but with a new design of smaller cartridges.
The R3000 weighs 35 lbs. vs. the 3880’s 43.2 lbs
Wireless connection will be important to many – not that many potential users will have gigabit ethernet sockets throughout the house, as we do here…
Also different is the new 2 picolitre minimum drop size – the 3880 is very good and it has ‘only’ 3.5 pl minimum. I’ll be interested to see how this affects print quality and speed.
If you add in roll paper support (up to 44″ is mentioned) and CD/DVD printing, this printer marks a distinct step up from the R2880 with its smaller cartridges, that physically move with the print head.
Quite a few people I’ve spoken to, looking to buy a larger desktop printer, have thought about the 3880/2880 choice. Whilst the big prints and larger carts would be the decider for me (80ml cartridges in the 3880 against. 25.9ml cartridges in the R3000), many don’t have the print volume or space (or money) to go for the larger printer.
This printer also addresses what has (for my own use) been one of Epson’s Achilles heel points for some time – the need to swap black inks if you print on different papers. It does this in the same way as the 3880, but uses about 60% of the ink (3ml Mk to Pk, 1ml the other way)
If you look at the 3000, 3880, 4880 and 4900 together, you can see that Epson have a very solid presence in this size range. Whether their competitors see the gap (between ‘desktop’ and Large Format) as worthy of attack, should be interesting.
March 29th A long review is published at MegaPixel
7th The R3000 is on display at the UK Focus on imaging show.
We’re expecting to get our hands on one to test out this year.
I was also reminded that this printer does not replace the 2880, but adds to the range. I had a brief look and it is a very nice looking printer
A few camera phone shots…
17 January 2011 – Epson today launches its latest A3+ photo printer aimed at the professional and advanced amateur: the Epson Stylus Photo R3000. This printer makes professional-quality output accessible, with its convenient high-capacity inks which are perfect for medium print runs, and fits even the smallest desk space with its compact footprint.
In response to photographers and designers’ feedback, Epson has developed the R3000’s new features with convenience in mind. A front-loading fine art paper feed makes insertion easier, reducing the likelihood of damage and removing the need for space behind the printer. Viewing media instructions and checking ink levels is simple with the 2.5-inch colour LCD. And the high-capacity, 25.9ml ink cartridges allow medium print runs to be completed while optimising cost per page.
Epson’s reputation for superior photo quality combined with its advanced UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta inkset means each print is consistently true-to-life. This inkset offers unbeatable greyscale reproduction – important for both colour and black and white prints – thanks to its three densities of black. Either a standard photo or matte black is employed and switched automatically by the printer to suit the media used, along with light black and light light black to create true black and white images. In addition to improving the grey balance and eliminating colour casts, this combination of blacks creates a smoother tonal range with a natural look, perfect for portraits.
Neil Wilson, business manager at Epson UK, says: “We launched the R3000 after listening to customers’ feedback. It is designed to offer photographers and artists a wide range of A3+ prints using our UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta ink, to meet their diverse needs. The R3000 allows them to tap into our unique ability to choose your own black and white tonality from warm to neutral or cool, and adapt it to suit individual tastes. These settings can easily be customised and saved, as we designed the R3000’s print driver to be easy to use.”
Users – whether they’re photographers, designers or architects – can also use the supplied professional-quality ICC profiles in their photo editing application to create professional-quality images that suit their unique style without relying on a lab. They can then focus on capturing the perfect shot, rather than having to learn print production skills. And with a high-quality A3+ photo taking just 195 seconds to print, they don’t then have to wait around to review the result.
And the versatile R3000 allows printing on a variety of media, from roll to cut-sheet fine art paper and board up to 1.3mm thick, making it the ideal choice for total freedom of expression without compromising on quality.
The Epson Stylus Photo R3000 will be available from the end of March 2011 with a recommended retail price (inc VAT) of £699.99
Control Panel and screen for R3000
R3000 Info from Epson US
Epson Stylus Photo R3000 Combines Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink and
AccuPhoto HD2 Image Technology to Deliver Stunning Wide-Format Prints
SAN ANTONIO (Imaging USA, Booth #200) – Jan. 17, 2011 – Epson America today introduced its most advanced 13-inch printer to date – the Epson Stylus Photo R3000. Designed for professional photographers and fine artists, the Epson Stylus Photo R3000 draws from the advanced technology of Epson Stylus Pro-series printers to deliver gallery-quality black-and-white output and vivid color prints. This printer also includes new features such as high-capacity individual ink cartridges, advanced media handling to support a wide range of paper types, and Ethernet and wireless-N connectivity.
Featuring Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta ink technology and an advanced MicroPiezo AMC print head, the Epson Stylus Photo R3000 produces exhibition quality prints on a wide variety of glossy, matte and fine art papers up to 13-inches wide using advanced media handling capabilities. Its innovative pigment ink set delivers an extremely wide color gamut with more dramatic blues and violets, while AccuPhoto HD2 image technology provides smoother color transitions and better highlight and shadow detail.
“The Epson Stylus Photo R3000 represents the next generation of 13-inch professional printers with its advanced features and design,” said Richard Day, senior product manager, Professional Imaging, Epson America. “Epson is always striving to anticipate the demands of professionals while pushing the boundaries of technology to provide the level of quality expected from Epson. We’ve integrated new productivity features that will have a big impact on design workflows, including superior media handling, wireless connectivity, larger ink cartridges, and auto-switching black inks.”
More about the Epson Stylus Photo R3000
Designed to provide unmatched performance, exhibition quality and professional media support, the Epson Stylus Photo R3000 delivers several innovative features, including:
– Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink: Professional eight-color ink set with Vivid Magenta and Vivid Light Magenta provides more dramatic blues and violets for an expanded color gamut. Built on Epson’s heritage of professional ink technology, this pigment ink set offers instant color stability and exceptional print permanence ratings for color and black-and-white prints.
– Advanced Media Handling: In addition to a main top-loading, high-capacity tray, this printer features a new front-in, front-out media path designed for fine art media up to 1.3 mm thick, including Epson’s line of Signature Worthy papers. It also offers broad media support with BorderFree cut-sheet media handling, roll paper printing up to 44-inches long and CD/DVD printing.
– AccuPhoto HD2 Image Technology: Created in collaboration with the Rochester Institute of Technology’s Munsell Color Science Laboratory, this complex mathematical architecture and advanced screening technology ensures precision placement of each individual ink droplet for smooth, grain-free images. This technology optimizes ink usage to maximize color gamut and provide smooth transitions and gradations, and reduces the metameric index to achieve consistent color under different lighting conditions.
– MicroPiezo AMC Print Head: The eight-channel, high-precision print head produces a maximum resolution of 5670 x 1440 optimized dpi and variable-sized droplets as small as 2 picoliters and places them with precision and accuracy. For decreased maintenance and increased reliability, the print head also incorporates an ink repellent coating.
– Intelligent High-Capacity Ink System: Nine individual 25.9 ml ink cartridges with pressurized ink technology ensures reliable ink delivery at all print speeds.
– Auto-switching Black Inks: The Epson Stylus Photo R3000 automatically switches between Photo and Matte black inks to produce the deepest blacks and richest color on glossy, matte or fine art media.
– Unparalleled Connectivity: Built-in Ethernet, wireless 802.11n and Hi-Speed USB 2.0 provide flexible options for fast connectivity to multiple computers in a home or studio.
– Advanced Black-and-White Photo Mode: Professionals can choose from one of four pre-set modes – neutral, warm, cool, or sepia for stunning neutral or toned black-and-white prints. This feature provides intuitive and consistent control through custom slider bars and a color tone wheel for advanced tone adjustment. In addition, customized settings can be saved and recalled to achieve consistent prints.
Pricing, Availability and Support
The Epson Stylus Photo R3000 will be available in March 2011 through authorized resellers for $849 (MSRP). The printer is supported by a one-year whole-unit exchange limited warranty plan and specialized technical support staff.
|Printing Method||Advanced MicroPiezo AMC print head with ink-repelling coating technology8-channel, drop-on-demand, ink jet print head
9-color (C, Lc, VM, VLm, Y, Lk, LLk + PK or MK)
Pigment-based Epson UltraChrome K3 with Vivid Magenta Ink technology
|Auto-Switching Black Ink Technology||Fully automatic switching between Black ink modes|
|Maximum paper width||13″|
|Maximum cut-sheet size||13″ x 19″|
|Minimum cut-sheet size||3.5″ x 5″|
|Maximum printable area||13″ x 44″|
|Border free printing||3.5″x 5″, 4″x 6″, 5″x 7″, 8″x 10″, A4 (8.3″x 11.7″), letter (8.5″ x 11″), 11″ x 14″, 12″ x 12″, B (11″ x 17″), A3 (11.7″ x 16.5″) and Super B (13″ x 19″) sizes|
|Main top-loading feeder||Up to 13″ x 19″ Up to 120 sheets plain;30 photo Up to 13″ x 19″|
|Front media path||Single sheet manual feeder, designed for fine art paper and media up to 1.3 mm thick 1 CD/DVD (using included tray)|
|Printer Interfaces||Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (1 port) 100Base-T Ethernet (1 port) Wi-Fi CERTIFIEDTM (802.11n only)|
|Operating Systems Supported||Mac / Windows|
|Extended Service Programs||1-year Extended Service Plan 2-year Extended Service Plan|
|Epson UltraChrome K3 Ink||Photo Black ink cartridge Cyan ink cartridge Vivid Magenta ink cartridge Yellow ink cartridge
Light Cyan ink cartridge Vivid Light Magenta ink cartridge Light Black ink cartridge Matte Black ink cartridge Light Light Black ink cartridge
|Epson Intelligent Ink Cartridges||T157120 T157220 T157320 T157420 T157520 T157620 T157720 T157820 T15792025.9 ml each color x 9 colors|
|Matte to Photo Black
Photo to Matte Black
|Approx. 3 min 30 secApprox. 2 min|
|Photo to Matte Black Ink used during conversionMatte to Photo Black||Approx. 3 mlApprox. 1 ml|
|Nozzle Configuration||180 nozzles x 8 Color and Monochrome heads|
|Droplet Technology||Variable Droplet Technology can produce up to three different droplet sizes per print line|
|Smallest droplet size||2 picoliters|
|Cartridge fill volume||25.9 ml|
|Ink cartridge shelf life||total 2 years from printed production date or 6 months after opened|
|Maximum Resolution||5760 x 1440 optimized dpi|
|Printer Speed||8″ x 10″ print: Approx. 1 min 33 sec13″ x 19″ print: Approx. 2 min 30 sec|
|Weight/Dimensions||35 lb 24.2″ (W) x 14.5″ (D) x 9″ (H)|
More print related information
For information about other printers, paper reviews and profiling (colour management) see the Printing section of the main Articles and Reviews page, or use the search box at the top of any page. There are also specific index pages for any articles connected with the following topics:
Buying anything from Amazon (not just what's listed) via any of the links below helps Keith and Karen keep the site going - thanks if you do! [Amazon UK]