EOS 850D Rebel T8i information
EOS 850D – Rebel T8i, information
Replacement(s) for the 800D/77D / Rebel T7i
...Why not sign up for our (ad free) Newsletter to keep informed about new articles and subscribe to my YouTube Channel
Canon launched the EOS Rebel T8i/EOS 850D in February 2020
Including true 4k video, it’s 24MP sensor and AF system is quite an update for the xxxD line.
This page will have any reviews, updates and info we find…
There are over 1100 free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
EOS 850D/T8i – 800D replacement
13th The camera is officially announced. Here’s the US press info
BRING THE FIRSTS, THE LASTS AND THE IN-BETWEEN MOMENTS TO LIFE: CAPTURE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS WITH THE NEW EOS REBEL T8i CAMERA
New Camera Delivers Vertical Video and Advanced Control for Maximum Creative Output
MELVILLE, N.Y., February 12, 2020 –– Whatever your family dynamic, there are certain moments with the ones you love that deserve to be remembered. In the spirit of capturing powerful moments that last a lifetime, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, unveiled today the Canon EOS Rebel T8i. The newest and highest-performing Rebel camera within the Canon lineup features the DIGIC 8 Image Processor, eye-detection in live view, 4K video, clean 4K HDMI outputˆ, and is the first EOS DSLR with vertical video1 all within a compact and lightweight body to bring photography and videos to life.
“Our commitment to high-quality and high-performing DSLR cameras is unwavering,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “Visual storytelling is not one size fits all, and in order to encourage our current and future customers to explore their content creation journey and make it easier for people to explore the art of photography and the power of an image, it is imperative that the next EOS Rebel provide high-quality still imagery, high-speed shooting capabilities as well as top notch video functionality.”
The Greatness Within the EOS Rebel T8i
The compact and lightweight EOS Rebel T8i camera is ideal for documenting the early days on the soccer field and aspiring shutterbugs looking to go beyond the “Auto” feature. This camera includes:
- Optical Viewfinder with a 45-point All Cross-type AF System with Face Detect to ensure images are in focus
- 24 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) Sensor• Continuous Shooting at up to 7.0 fps
- 4K UHD, Full HD up to 24P
- Equipped with an Approx. 220,000 Pixel New AE Sensor and EOS iTR AF (Face Detection)
- Fast & Accurate Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Eye-detection (Servo)
- Vari-angle, 3.0-inch LCD Touch Screen
- Advanced Control with AF-ON Button and Quick Control Dial
- Built-in Wi-Fi®2 and Bluetooth®3 Connectivity
Compatible with an extensive line of Canon EF and EF-S lenses, this model can capture vertical video and has multiple connectivity options using Bluetooth® and WiFi® technology, making it ideal for vlogging, uploading content to social media platforms, and web services or for day-to-day usage when capturing life’s most precious moments.
Pricing and Availability
The EOS Rebel T8i camera body has an estimated retail price of $749.99 and the EOS Rebel T8i kit with EF-S 18-55mm F4-5.6 IS STM lens has an estimated retail price of $899.99. For more information and the full list of product specifications, visit http://shop.usa.canon.com
ˆ Output of images in 4K UHD resolution without shooting information. If monitor does not support 4K UHD, the resolution of the output format is lowered for display.
- Vertical Video Support is available for playback on the following compatible smart devices: iOS® versions 9.3/10.3/11.2-11.4/12.2, Android™ smartphone and tablet versions 5.0/5.1/6.0/7.0/7.1/8.0/8.1/9.0.
- Compatible with iOS® versions 9.3/10.3, Android™ smartphone and tablet versions 4.4/5.0/5.1/6.0/7.0/7.1. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images.
- Compatible with select smartphone and tablet devices (Android™ version 5.0 or later and the following iOS® devices: iPhone 4s or later, iPad 3rd gen. or later, iPod Touch 5th gen. or later) equipped with Bluetooth® version 4.0 or later and the Camera Connect.
- Availability, prices and specifications are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.
6th Some (Japanese) Kiss X10i photos appear, suggesting the update is very soon…[Nok]
29th Some 850D specs appear
- DIGIC 8
- 45 AF points (all cross-type)
- Video 4K @ 30P
- 3″ 1.04 million pixel touch panel vari-angle LCD
- 131.0 x 102.6 x 76.2mm 515g
Pictures appear. [Nok]
A T8i (850D?) is due shortly [Nok]
“EOS Rebel T8i Body”, “EOS Rebel T8i Lens Kit”, “RF24-105mm STM”, and “QX10 (Black, White, Green, Pink)” have been added to Canon’s latest product list. If not a mistake, it should be announced in February
3rd The 77/850 have been relatively long lived, with changes in the camera market drastic enough that any planned earlier 77/850 developments may have been seriously altered. We may even see a single 850D/900D model as the 77/800 split is halted.
This could indeed be a 77D or 800D replacement, since a step up in processor to Digic 8 and the incorporation of 4k video would seem obvious changes. The new 32MP sensor seen in the M6II nd 90D may also feature.
It’s worth noting suggestions we’ve had that a crop sensor mirrorless to match Nikon’s Z50 is on the way, but the ages of the 77D/800D and older technology used in them suggest there is life in Canon’s xxxD line yet.
It’s also worth noting that with the small amount of detail available at the moment that it could be an M50 mk2 (or M60) – the 800D/77D are both a year older though and a 3 yr old ‘Rebel’ still looks the most likely for update – see the timeline)
15th The 800D/T7i and 77D are announced.
The split first seen in the previous 750D/760D models is made more obvious (from a marketing point of view).
Previous history would suggest that we’re not going to see much here until at least late 2018. Pre-release rumours for the 800D are at the foot of the 800D page
A good guide for timings has been the Canon timeline
|Best||Full||1Ds||1Ds Mk II||1Ds Mk III||1D X||1DX II||1DX III|
|1.3||1D||1D Mk II||1D MkIIn||1D Mk III||1D Mk IV|
|5D||5D Mk II||5D Mk III||5D Mk IV|
|1.6||7D||7D Mk II|
|750D T6i||800D T7i||850D T8i|
|Micro||1.6||100D SL1 X7||200D SL2||250D|
|Entry||1.6||1000D / XS / F||1100D / T3 / X50||1200D T5 X70||1300D T6||2000D T7|
Note: dates start in announcement quarter, not shipping dates. Video capable 4k 8k
Digic | Digic 2 | Digic 3 dual | Digic 4 dual | Digic 5 dual | Digic 6 dual | Digic 7 dual | Digic 8 dual | Digic X dual
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon affiliate. so receive commission on any purchases you make