EOS 250D / 200D II / EOS SL3 / Kiss X10
EOS 250D / 200D II / EOS SL3 / Kiss X10
Canon’s small DSLR update for the 200D/SL2
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
22nd Some reviews/previews
- DPR – What you need to know about Canon’s EOS Rebel SL3
- IR – First Impressions
- CL – Review / Preview
- TDP – Canon EOS Rebel SL3 / 250D Review
10th The camera is announced. A modest improvement over the 200D. (think adding the sensor from the M50 and Digic8 processor)
9th Specs for the 250D appear
- APS-C size equivalent CMOS sensor with about 24.1 million effective pixels
- Video engine DIGIC 8
- “Digital lens optimiser” installed in the camera
- Equipped with “Auto Lighting Optimiser” that automatically corrects the brightness and contrast to a natural impression
- “Dual pixel CMOS AF” evolved
– It supports ranging area of approximately 100% (vertically) x approximately 88% (horizontally) of the imaging surface
– When selecting the AF area, you can select from up to 3,975 positions
– When AF area is automatically selected, ranging with up to 143 divisions is possible
- Low brightness limit EV-4 is realised during live view shooting
- During Live View shooting, “Pupil AF” is activated to detect the subject’s pupil with pinpoint and focus on Servo AF / Movie Servo AF setting as well.
- Equipped with “one spot AF”
- Capable of 4K (24p / 25p) high-definition movie shooting
- It is equipped with “4K frame cutout” which saves any one frame as a JPEG image of about 8.3 million pixels only by camera operation
- At the time of movie photography, camera shake correction of five axes is possible at the time of wearing of correspondence lens by the use of gyro sensor
- Equipped with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Size: 122.4 x 92.6 x 69.8 mm
- Weight: Black / Silver 402g · White 404g (body only), Black / Silver 449g · White 451g (CIPA compliant)
Solid rumour info in the form of pictures from [Nok]
- Kit: Body (Black), Lens Kit (Black, White, Silver), Double Zoom Kit (Black)
- Expected release date: April 25, 2019
- Image is black and white 200D II for Southeast Asia, Silver is Kiss X 10
- The name is Rebel SL3 in the United States, 250D in Europe, and 200D in Asia.
So, pick a name, any name…
Pre release Information
20th What’s coming next from Canon? – the 80D and 7D2 are looking old, but the model name DS126761 has been seen in wireless certification data for a while.
It will be interesting to see if this camera gets a noticeably improved sensor, which could give some indications of higher performance configurations coming in 80D/7D2 replacements (and as a FF design, any ‘pro’ EOS R for that matter). We’ve been told many times of a ‘jump’ in sensor performance – so many in fact, that I’m definitely in a wait and see mode ;-)
- Digital camera (single lens reflex or RF mounting machine)
- Made in Taiwan or Made in Japan (Oita Plant)
- Wi-Fi · Bluetooth equipped (WM 600)
- SKU: 3454C001AA, 3454C002AA, 3454C003AA, 3458C001AA, 3461C001AA
- Battery: 7.2 V 1040 mAh (LP – E 17)
New info at [Nok] says that it’s a 200D replacement or SL3
Note for younger readers ;-) – the 300D appeared in 2004…
|Best||Full||1Ds||1Ds Mk II||1Ds Mk III||1D X||1DX II||1DX III|
|1.3||1D||1D Mk II||1D MkIIn||1D Mk III||1D Mk IV|
|5D||5D Mk II||5D Mk III||5D Mk IV|
|1.6||7D||7D Mk II|
|750D T6i||800D T7i||850D T8i|
|Micro||1.6||100D SL1 X7||200D SL2||250D|
|Entry||1.6||1000D / XS / F||1100D / T3 / X50||1200D T5 X70||1300D T6||2000D T7|
Note: dates start in announcement quarter, not shipping dates. Video capable 4k 8k
Digic | Digic 2 | Digic 3 dual | Digic 4 dual | Digic 5 dual | Digic 6 dual | Digic 7 dual | Digic 8 dual | Digic X dual
LIGHT IN WEIGHT, HEAVY IN FEATURES: INTRODUCING THE EOS REBEL SL3 COMPACT DIGITAL SLR CAMERA
Empowering Users with an Easy Way to Express Themselves, the New Camera Delivers Stunning Photos and 4K Videos in a Lightweight Body
MELVILLE, N.Y., April 10, 2019 – Combining ease-of-use with high-image quality, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today unveiled the EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR camera, the smallest and lightest product within the current EOS lineup. Weighing just 15.84 oz1, the EOS Rebel SL3 offers users a compact system delivering high-resolution images – complete with an APS-C imaging sensor, DIGIC 8 Image Processor and 3.0-inch vari-angle LCD touchscreen as well as 4K video, a first for the EOS Rebel lineup. Compatible with Canon’s full line of interchangeable EF and EF-S lenses, along with the ability to instantly send images to compatible smartphones through Auto Image Transfer via Wi-Fi® connectivity2, the EOS Rebel SL3 is the tool needed to empower aspiring photographers to capture gorgeous shots quickly and easily.
“Since its inception, the EOS Rebel product line has aimed to provide imaging excellence for entry-level visual storytellers,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “Therefore, it was imperative that the next step in the EOS Rebel journey include innovative features such as 4K video and DIGIC 8 Image Processor to meet the needs of emerging photographers, while living up to the high-image quality and compact size EOS Rebel DSLRs are known for.”
The EOS Rebel SL3 carries a powerful 24.1 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, enabling users to snap photos and express themselves across a multitude of settings – whether it be a beautiful night scene, stunning family-vacation destination or a picturesque landscape. The camera is equipped with Canon’s DIGIC 8 processor – first introduced in the EOS M50 and later built into the revolutionary EOS R full-frame mirrorless system. DIGIC 8 helps improve autofocus performance and allows for the processing of 4K video and 4K time-lapse movies – helping budding videographers record scenes such as the colorful evening skyline in brilliant detail.
The EOS Rebel SL3 features autofocus (AF) capabilities, delivering nine AF points across the optical viewfinder. This includes a new Spot AF which allows users to focus on a precise area within the subject. The EOS Rebel SL3 is the first DSLR in the Canon EOS line to feature Dual Pixel CMOS AF3 with Eye Detection AF in Live View shooting mode. With its optical viewfinder and Live View LCD monitor, photographers can enjoy two different ways of shooting and customize their experience based on the scene. The system is also the first Canon EOS SLR to incorporate a Smooth Skin setting, which can help render skin tones as well as Creative Assist – an interface by which users can check and seamlessly change shooting conditions in Live View4– such as white balance or brightness – in real time.
Additional key features of the EOS Rebel SL3 camera include:
- Feature Assistant that guides and offers tips for more effective shooting
- Continuous shooting mode up to 5.0 fps
- Digital Lens Optimizer that corrects optical shifting automatically, even without a computer5
The EOS Rebel SL3 will be available toward the end of April for purchase in black and white color options for an estimated retail price of $599.99, for the body only and $749.99 for the body with a EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM lens*. For more information, please visit usa.canon.com.
- 1 Includes battery and SD memory card (confirms with CIPA standards).1 Includes battery and SD memory card (confirms with CIPA standards).
- 2 Compatible with select smartphone and tablet devices (Android™ version 5.0 or later and the following iOS® devices: iPhone 4s or later, iPad 3rd gen. or later, iPod Touch 5th gen. or later) equipped with Bluetooth® version 4.0 or later and the Camera Connect app.
- 3 Based on results of AF speed tests in accordance with CIPA guidelines. Results may vary depending on shooting conditions and lens in use. Relies on internal measurement method. • Shutter speed: 1/500 or more• Lens used: EF 50 mm f/1.8 STM• Aperture: within three steps of maximum aperture• Using a fully charged battery pack LP-E17, at 23˚C
- 4 Available AF points may decrease when shooting with AF cropping or in movie mode, or depending on camera settings or lens attached.
- 5 Up to three lenses can be registered at once within the camera.
*Availability, prices and specifications are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.
|MSRP||$599 (body only), $749 (w/18-55mm F4-5.6 lens)|
|Body type||Compact SLR|
|Max resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||26 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (22.3 x 14.9 mm)|
|Colour space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Colour filter array||Primary colour filter|
|ISO||Auto, 100-25600 (expands to 51200)|
|Boosted ISO (maximum)||51200|
|White balance presets||6|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, normal|
|Optics & Focus|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Number of focus points||3975|
|Lens mount||Canon EF/EF-S|
|Focal length multiplier||1.6×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Viewfinder type||Optical (pentamirror)|
|Viewfinder magnification||0.87× (0.54× 35mm equiv.)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash X sync speed||1/200 sec|
|Continuous drive||5.0 fps|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 10 secs)|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-I compatible)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Wireless notes||802.11b/g/n + Bluetooth|
|Remote control||Yes (via wired or wireless remote or smartphone)|
|Battery description||LP-E17 lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||1070|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||449 g (0.99 lb / 15.84 oz)|
|Dimensions||122 x 93 x 70 mm (4.8 x 3.66 x 2.76″)|
|Timelapse recording||Yes (videos only)|
5th With the 24MP 750/760D due tomorrw, it’s quite likely that that sensor rather than the 20MP one will appear in any followup to the 100D, but not for a while yet.
We’ve been told several times in 2014 that 2015 will see a major shake-up in Canon’s overall DSLR range… we shall see ;-)
13th The 150D (SL2) is suggested as a Q3 product (main rumours page)
12th The 1200D is announced with an 18MP sensor and digic 4
15th Smaller camera(s) [CR] for CP+ (750D/150D or even a Canon G2X/G1 X Mk2) rather than a 7D2?
14th Applause all round as Canon announce a white version of the 100D (Kiss 7) in Japan
21st The 18MP 100D is announced.
I’m supposing it will last for at least a year, and the replacement will be Digic 6 powered and probably have a fresh sensor design (see the impending 70D and 7Dmk2 for clues)
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)