Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
Other index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Printing and paper
- Digital Black and White
- Photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper is an
X-Rite ‘Coloratti Master’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
- QTR and PrintFIX PRO to get better black and white prints Using the PrintFIX Pro colorimeter with QTR to make greyscale ICC profiles to improve linearity for black and white printing.
- Why don’t my prints match my screen? Why your prints often don't match your screen very well. Some explanations, solutions and ways of dealing with the problem
- Why media settings are vital in your printer profiling Optimal media settings are essential for good results when making printer ICC profiles. Simple test prints make this an easier process with 3rd party papers
- How to remove Adobe Gamma Windows 2000 XP Vista Removing and deactivating Adobe Gamma, if installed on Windows 2000 XP Vista computers. Avoids conflict with monitor profiling and calibration systems.
- A Black and White test image Special test image designed for black and white print checking. Includes explanation of use for all features of the downloadable image.
- Saving images for web use Some of the things to consider when saving images for web use - how care with resizing and basic sharpening can give them a bit more punch
- Better Digital Black and White printing on your Inkjet printer Simple technique to make linearising curves for black and white photo prints. Measuring test prints with flatbed scanner provide data for curve construction
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 review Review of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 monitor, scanner and printer profiling package using the i1Pro 3 spectrophotometer. Comparison with i1Pro 3 plus
- Rechargeable LED worklight for product photography A basic battery powered 15W LED worklight is tested for product photography. With over 3 hrs use on a charge, is the light quality good enough? The device doubles as a 6000mAh 22.2Wh USB powerbank
- i1Display Pro Plus review Looking at the new i1Display Pro plus monitor calibration and profiling colorimeter. Adds high brightness screen support and BT.1886 gamma curve support. This is the top model of the i1Display range
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 plus review Review of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 Plus monitor, scanner and printer profiling package using the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer. Backlit printed materials can now be profiled, and the spectrophotometer has an M3 option for polarised measurements
- X-Rite i1iO review Review using the X-Rite i1iO automated patch reader for printer profiling using the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer and i1Profiler software. The robot arm accepts the original i1Pro and the i1Pro 2
- X-Rite ColorChecker Nano card A very small Colorchecker card from X-Rite. It is sized at 25mm x 40mm for use in close-up and macro photography. Can be used to create colour profiles for cameras and all other applications of full size cards
- SpyderX Studio review Review of the Spyder X Studio kit from Datacolor. Includes the Spyder X Elite monitor calibrator, SpyderCube white balance and exposure tool and SpyderPrint printer profiling kit for creating ICC printer profiles
- A visit to IPEX 2010 Looking at some large printers from HP, Canon and others at the IPEX show - Keith visits IPEX 2010... what's new?
- i1Profiler – New Profiling solution from X-Rite i1Profiler - New Profiling solution from X-Rite. product announcement
- ColorMunki software updated to V1.1 The X-rite colormunki software has been updated to version 1.1. Additional features and bug fixes in this free software update
- New profiling software -Profilemaker update New profiling software for colour management - Profilemaker is updated by X-rite
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)