Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
Other index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Printing and paper
- Digital Black and White
- Photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper is an
X-Rite ‘Coloratti Master’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
- Printer Test ImagesCollection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- Black and White printing with the P700Black and white printing on the Epson SC-P700 A3+ pigment ink printer. Different types of paper and optimising the reproduction of your monochrome photos
- Custom media for the PRO-300Creating custom media settings for the Canon PRO-300 printer with the MCT software. Using the free Media Configuration Tool software for the PRO300 A3+ (13")printer
- Black and white printing with the PRO-300Printing black and white on the Canon PRO-300 A3+ pigment ink printer. Different types of paper and optimising the reproduction of your photos.
- Keith Cooper’s paper reviewsKeith's photo paper reviews - collected data from all the papers for printing photos that we've tested over the years. Helpful if you can't get them where you live. Matt, satin, lustre and glossy. Regularly updated for new papers tested
- SpyderPrint black and white print refinementBlack and white printer test image for use with the Datacolor SpyderPrint spectrocolorimeter. Check linearity and black and white print performance with Photoshop & Affinity Photo
- What goes into a printWhat goes into a photo print - getting more from your prints. Looking at printers, image preparation and just what makes a print worth going on your wall. Why are you making prints and who are they for?
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
- Epson SureColor P600 printer reviewDetailed Epson SureColor P600 review. The SC-P600 is an A3 plus (13" width) pigment ink printer tested with different papers for colour and black & white. It supports borderless printing, roll paper and CD/DVD printing
- Epson V850 film scanner reviewReview of the Epson Perfection V850 flatbed scanner. 6400dpi scanning for transparencies, 4800 dpi for photographs. Film and slide holders included
- X-Rite ColorTRUE and the CamRangerReview of X-Rite ColorTRUE colour management system used on an iPad for managing display colour with the CamRanger camera control system
- NEC SpectraView Reference 272 monitor reviewReview of the NEC SpectraView Reference 272 monitor. High specification 27 inch LCD monitor with hardware calibration options
- Balancing lighting with the SpydercubeThe Spydercube is a quick way to set white balance for product photography. I've been testing the Samyang 14mm f2.8 ultrawide lens recently and used it for a quick pack shot.
- Canon iPF6450/iPF6400 printer reviewsOverview of Keith Cooper's reviews of the Canon iPF 6450 printer, along with tests of specific paper types. Also includes printer setup and the optional spectrophotometer unit
- Canon iPF6400 – 6450 printer reviewDetailed review of the imagePROGRAF iPF6450 (ipF6400) 24 inch large format printer. Colour management and print setup for colour and black and white
- Datacolor Spyder X announcedDatacolor have announced their latest Spyder X monitor and projector calibration system, the Spyder X. Improved speed and profiling accuracy are claimed
- X-Rite Adobe CC offerX-Rite Adobe CC offer - X-Rite are offering a free one year Adobe CC photography plan with certain product purchases (X-Rite i1Display Pro, i1Photographer Kit, ColorMunki Photographer Kit or i1Studio).
- How poor is your colour managementA recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- Datacolor Colour management surveyHow does the UK photography community use colour management - a new survey is launched by Datacolor - complete the survey to enter a prize draw to win a Spyder5 monitor calibrator.
- Some benefits of Colour ManagementDatacolor survey with Leica forum users looks at the benefits of a colour managed workflow for photographers. Screen and print colour management
- X-Rite i1Studio launchedX-Rite announce i1Studio package for monitor calibration, scanner and printer profiling (colour and black & white). Updated software / functionality for the ColorMunki spectrophotometer
- BenQ SW271 27 inch HDR 4k monitorBenQ have announced the SW271 27 inch HDR 4k monitor. With HDR10 support. SW271 features 99% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB and Rec. 709. and DCI-P3 colour spaces.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
...Why not sign up for our (ad free) Newsletter to keep informed about new articles and subscribe to my YouTube Channel