Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
Other index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Printing and paper
- Digital Black and White
- Photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper is an
X-Rite ‘Coloratti Master’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
- Black and white printing with the PRO-300Printing black and white on the Canon PRO-300 A3+ pigment ink printer. Different types of paper and optimising the reproduction of your photos.
- Keith Cooper’s paper reviewsKeith's photo paper reviews - collected data from all the papers for printing photos that we've tested over the years. Helpful if you can't get them where you live. Matt, satin, lustre and glossy. Regularly updated for new papers tested
- SpyderPrint black and white print refinementBlack and white printer test image for use with the Datacolor SpyderPrint spectrocolorimeter. Check linearity and black and white print performance with Photoshop & Affinity Photo
- What goes into a printWhat goes into a photo print - getting more from your prints. Looking at printers, image preparation and just what makes a print worth going on your wall. Why are you making prints and who are they for?
- Black and white test image for use with i1iSisBlack and white test image and 51 step (2%) greyscale step wedge for use with X-Rite i1iSis scanning spectrophotometer. Includes target files and downloadable test image
- Fine tuning black and white photo printingFine tuning black and white photo printing with a flatbed scanner when using using monochrome print settings such as Epson ABW or Canon Black and White photo print modes. Test for optimal media settings. Print linearisation with curves.
- Dual illuminant DNG profilesQuickly creating DNG dual illuminant camera profiles for testing lenses, cameras, & lighting under variable lighting conditions. using an X-Rite colorchecker card and their free camera calibrations software.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
- Canon imagePROGRAF TX-3000 reviewTesting the Canon TX-3000 36" width printer. Keith Cooper reviews the Canon TX wide format printer and plotter for photo and graphics printing. Also covers the 24" TX-2000 printer and 44" TX-4000
- Fotospeed Matt art papers reviewFotospeed Platinum Cotton 305 and Cotton Etching 305 matt art papers review. Cotton acid free fine art paper. Natural white smooth and Etching finish bright white
- Review: SpyderCHECKR24Review of SyderCHECKR 24 camera colour correction chart and software by datacolor. 24 patch reference target for camera colour correction for photo and video
- BenQ SW271 monitor reviewKeith reviews BenQ's latest high end monitor. The BenQ SW271 27inch width display features 3840x2160 resolution at 16:9 aspect ratio and accepts 4k HDR video. Dual HDMI inputs along with Displayport, Thunderbolt/USB3. Technicolor certified
- Review of the Epson P5000 printerReview of the Epson Surecolor P5000 printer. 17 inch width A2, with roll support and paper cartridge for sheet media. Looking at print capabilities and colour management
- X-rite i1 Profiler product overview and reviewsX-rite i1 Profiler product updates and reviews of features and functionality for creating icc profiles for devices (such as printers and monitors)
- Datacolor Spyder 5 Elite Plus reviewSpyder 5 Elite plus upgrade to Datacolor's Spyder 5 Elite monitor calibrator and profiling. Add-on software upgrade for soft proofing, improved grey balance and a wider range of customisation options.
- X-rite updates i1 Profileri1profiler updated.New features include the option to balance red, green and blue during monitor calibration, improved automatic monitor adjustment (ADC) during the calibration process, and support for Eizo ColorEdge displays.
- i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lioni1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lion by special Mac only update
- X-rite updates i1Profiler LicensePerhaps not something I'd normally report, but given all the kerfuffle over the i1Profiler EULA (license) when it came out, it's worth noting that they have retrospectively altered the license.
- A solution to the CS5 ‘no color management’ problemA solution to the CS5 'no color management' problem. Potential difficulties with printing if you want no colour management. The free Adobe Color Print Utility is made for printing profiling targets with colour management turned off.
- Latest i1Solutions from X-riteUpdated information about i1 Profiler capabilities. X-rite profiling options
- Datacolor SpyderCheckrProduct launch information: Datacolor SpyderCheckr. Datacolor have announced a new colour management tool in the form of the SpyderCheckr colour card
- DNG ProfileManager – organising DNG profilesDNG ProfileManager - organising DNG camera profiles. Making DNG profiles is a good way of working round awkward lighting conditions, where the trouble of making a full icc profile is perhaps not merited.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)