Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
Other index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Printing and paper
- Digital Black and White
- Photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper is an
X-Rite ‘Coloratti Master’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
- Printer Test Images Collection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- Keith Cooper’s paper reviews Keith's photo paper reviews - collected data from all the papers for printing photos that we've tested over the years. Helpful if you can't get them where you live. Matt, satin, lustre and glossy
- Printing low megapixel images at large size Printing low megapixel images at large size, looking at resizing and image editing techniques that let you make larger prints than you thought possible. Getting good prints at A2 and 17" x 25" sizes
- Better photography by printing your work Better Photography from prints. Printing your photos is a useful skill to work on. 5 steps towards getting great prints that will help you improve all of your photography
- Lighting CRI with i1Profiler and the i1Pro Lighting CRI measurement using X-Rite i1Profiler software and the i1Pro spectrophotomenter, with the free Osram LED ColorCalculator software
- A photo print of some bright red flowers Making a photo print of some bright red cactus flowers. Looking at how colour spaces and gamut affects such strong colours. How making a basic print of a flower illustrates some printer, paper and colour management choices
- Looking for a bigger photo printer Important questions to ask yourself when looking for a bigger photo printer wider than 13 inch width or A3+. Things that it's useful to know if you want a 17" (A2) or larger printer, it's about more than just bigger prints.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
- X-rite i1 Profiler product overview and reviews X-rite i1 Profiler product updates and reviews of features and functionality for creating icc profiles for devices (such as printers and monitors)
- Datacolor Spyder 5 Elite Plus review Spyder 5 Elite plus upgrade to Datacolor's Spyder 5 Elite monitor calibrator and profiling. Add-on software upgrade for soft proofing, improved grey balance and a wider range of customisation options.
- Datacolor Spyder5PRO monitor calibrator review Review of the Datacolor Spyder 5 Pro monitor calibrator. Calibration and profiling of your monitor/monitors for reliability and optimal display quality
- BenQ SW320 32inch 4k monitor review Keith Cooper reviews the SW320 BenQ 31.5 inch 4K high resolution monitor. The wide gamut monitor has Adobe98 coverage and supports hardware profiling with a 14 bit 3D LUT. The supplied profiling/calibration software supports different measurement devices. Comes with a display shielding hood and individual factory calibration certificate.
- Impressora pro photo media review Review of six different papers from the Impressora range of photo media, from Canvas to cotton rag paper to glossy metallic finish. All tested on the Canon PRO-2000 printer
- Pinnacle Premium Photo Lustre 300 paper review Review of Pinnacle Premium Photo Lustre paper, by Paper Spectrum. A bright lustre photo paper that is our go-to choice for commercial and decorative prints. 300gsm weight and available in a full range of sheet and roll sizes
- Spyder5 Capture Pro reviews A new Datacolor bundle with ColorCheckr card, SpyderCube, LensCal and Spyder5 Elite in a hard storage case. Article looks at the collection and includes full reviews of all the individual items.
- BenQ announce new 32″ 4k HDR monitor BenQ announce their new SW320 4k HDR monitor, to be shown in the US at Photo Plus. There is also the Technicolor Colour Certified 27-inch QHD PV270 and the 32-inch PV3200PT 4K UHD
- i1Profiler is updated to V1.5 I1Profiler is updated t V1.5 The updated software incorporates a number of fixes and improvements such as new monitor technologies Adds device link CMYK profiles to the i1Publish version
- New monitor calibration option – ColorMunki Smile X-rite annouce a new device to calibrate your monitor, the ColorMunki Smile
- X-Rite and the all new i1 Pro 2 The all new version of the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer from X-Rite. A range of profiling solutions for colour management.
- Colour management and your TV The Spyder4 TV offers a way of calibrating TVs and reference video monitors
- Three new Spyders The new Spyder4 devices: the Spyder4 Express, the Spyder4 Pro, and the Spyder4 Elite are designed to offer improved color accuracy and low luminance performance compared to the Spyder3 devices.
- X-rite updates i1 Profiler i1profiler updated.New features include the option to balance red, green and blue during monitor calibration, improved automatic monitor adjustment (ADC) during the calibration process, and support for Eizo ColorEdge displays.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)