Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
Keith Cooper is a one of X-Rite’s ‘Coloratti’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
- A visit to IPEX 2010 Looking at some large printers from HP, Canon and others at the IPEX show - Keith visits IPEX 2010... what's new?
- Media settings – Printer Test Images Test images for optimising media settings when printing. Essential to check before profiling papers to know if too much (or too little) ink is being used for the particular paper chosen
- Preserving mountain art Guest post by Tony Riley discussing some of the digital options in preserving mountain art and handling the large archive that exists.
- Physical Limits in Digital Photography Photographer and physicist David B. Goldstein looks at how basic physics limits some aspects of where digital camera design can go.
- Adobe Camera Raw DNG profiles from a ColorChecker card Camera profiling by using photographs of an X-Rite ColorChecker card to make DNG colour profiles for converting RAW files with Adobe software (ACR and Lightroom)
- What working space to use – colour management choices What working space to use? Looking at some of the advantages and issues when choosing a working colour space. Which colour management choices matter?
- Better black and white profiling with the ColorMunki Using the Colormunki to create QuadToneRIP (QTR) linearising icc profiles for black and white printmaking. Smoother gradations and unblocked shadows
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. If you buy anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
If you buy anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
- Canon imagePROGRAF TX-3000 review Testing the Canon TX-3000 36" width printer. Keith Cooper reviews the Canon TX wide format printer and plotter for photo and graphics printing. Also covers the 24" TX-2000 printer and 44" TX-4000
- Fotospeed Matt art papers review Fotospeed Platinum Cotton 305 and Cotton Etching 305 matt art papers review. Cotton acid free fine art paper. Natural white smooth and Etching finish bright white
- Review: SpyderCHECKR24 Review of SyderCHECKR 24 camera colour correction chart and software by datacolor. 24 patch reference target for camera colour correction for photo and video
- BenQ SW271 monitor review Keith reviews BenQ's latest high end monitor. The BenQ SW271 27inch width display features 3840x2160 resolution at 16:9 aspect ratio and accepts 4k HDR video. Dual HDMI inputs along with Displayport, Thunderbolt/USB3. Technicolor certified
- Review of the Epson P5000 printer Review of the Epson Surecolor P5000 printer. 17 inch width A2, with roll support and paper cartridge for sheet media. Looking at print capabilities and colour management
- X-rite i1 Profiler product overview and reviews X-rite i1 Profiler product updates and reviews of features and functionality for creating icc profiles for devices (such as printers and monitors)
- Datacolor Spyder 5 Elite Plus review Spyder 5 Elite plus upgrade to Datacolor's Spyder 5 Elite monitor calibrator and profiling. Add-on software upgrade for soft proofing, improved grey balance and a wider range of customisation options.
- Datacolor Spyder X announced Datacolor have announced their latest Spyder X monitor and projector calibration system, the Spyder X. Improved speed and profiling accuracy are claimed
- X-Rite Adobe CC offer X-Rite Adobe CC offer - X-Rite are offering a free one year Adobe CC photography plan with certain product purchases (X-Rite i1Display Pro, i1Photographer Kit, ColorMunki Photographer Kit or i1Studio).
- How poor is your colour management A recent Datacolor survey shows how many photographers have problems with colour management and photo reproduction quality - some ways to improve, including a free colour management e-book
- Datacolor Colour management survey How does the UK photography community use colour management - a new survey is launched by Datacolor - complete the survey to enter a prize draw to win a Spyder5 monitor calibrator.
- Some benefits of Colour Management Datacolor survey with Leica forum users looks at the benefits of a colour managed workflow for photographers. Screen and print colour management
- X-Rite i1Studio launched X-Rite announce i1Studio package for monitor calibration, scanner and printer profiling (colour and black & white). Updated software / functionality for the ColorMunki spectrophotometer
- BenQ SW271 27 inch HDR 4k monitor BenQ have announced the SW271 27 inch HDR 4k monitor. With HDR10 support. SW271 features 99% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB and Rec. 709. and DCI-P3 colour spaces.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks