Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
Other index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Printing and paper
- Digital Black and White
- Photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper is an
X-Rite ‘Coloratti Master’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
- Test image for black and white printing Test image for testing performance and quality of black and white (monochrome) printing. Article explains functionality of parts of the image
- Calibration and Profiling – not the same thing The other day I saw someone mention a 'printer calibrated to their monitor'. I'd noticed elsewhere that there is a deal of confusion in the terms calibration and profiling, which tend to get used in an imprecise way. This short note is just aimed at clear in this up
- On site product product photography setup Basic colour management and photography options for photographing large numbers of products out of the studio. Efficient setup reduces the processing needed
- Canon iPF6450 SU-21 spectrophotometer setup Canon iPF6450 SU-21 spectrophotometer setup guide. Initial setup and attachment for the SU21 X-Rite spectro on the 24" large format printer.
- Black and white print linearisation with the i1Pro 2 Using the X-Rite i1Pro 2 spectrophotometer to measure black and white test print targets to create linearising curves and profile with the QTR software package
- Black and white print linearisation with i1Profiler and QTR Black and white print linearisation using QTR icc profiles created with X-Rite i1Profiler software and the i1Pro spectrophotometer
- So, you want a good, cheap inkjet printer with cheap ink Lots of people want a good quality, cheap, photo printer that doesn't cost a lot in ink. Unfortunately, the market doesn't quite work like that - some thought about what to do when your old printer dies.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
- SpyderX Studio review Review of the Spyder X Studio kit from Datacolor. Includes the Spyder X Elite monitor calibrator, SpyderCube white balance and exposure tool and SpyderPrint printer profiling kit for creating ICC printer profiles
- ESDDI LED lighting Portable Photo Studio Box ESDDI Portable Photo Studio Box (20" x 20" - 50 x 50cm) with dimmable mains powered LED lighting (120 lights). Includes 4 colours of backdrop. Tabletop product photo box
- ESDDI LED ring light ESDDI 3200K - 5600K dimmable LED ring light. 14 inch diameter 40W mains powered with 2m adjustable support stand. 360 LEDs giving ~4000 lumens output.
- Fotospeed Fotospeed Smooth Cotton 300 paper review Fotospeed Smooth cotton 300 paper review. Smooth matte surface surface, Cotton based 300gsm white paper. Takes a good ink load and for a matte paper gives solid colour and B&W tonality
- Fotospeed Legacy Gloss 325 paper review Fotospeed Legacy Gloss 325 paper review. Smooth unglazed gloss surface, Cotton based 325gsm natural warm white paper. OBA free. Making large exhibition quality prints.
- Spyder X Elite monitor calibrator review Review of the Spyder X Elite monitor profiling and calibration system from Datacolor. Fully configurable screen calibration and display analysis
- Fotospeed Platinum Baryta 300 paper review Fotospeed Platinum Baryta 300 paper review. Smooth unglazed gloss surface 300gsm natural white paper. Making large exhibition quality prints
- i1Photo Pro 3 launched X-Rite have launched a new version of the i1Pro spectrophotometer, the i1Pro 3. The i1Photo Pro 3 package includes the new device for calibration and profiling printers, cameras monitors and projectors
- X-Rite updates display calibrator range X-Rite has updated its display calibrator product range, including support for much brighter screens. Products are aimed at photographers and filmmakers
- X-Rite i1Pro 3 Plus options X-Rite announce the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer for imaging, print and textile markets, it is available in i1Basic and i1Profiler kit options for screen and print profiling
- X-Rite Announces i1Pro 3 Plus X-Rite announce the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer for imaging, print and textile markets. The device is optimised for measuring a wide variety of materials
- New X-Rite ColorChecker card sizes X-Rite have announced a range of new sizes for their industry standard ColorChecker cards. Sizes launched range from Nano to Mega (24x40mm to 100x152cm)
- Datacolor Spyder X bundles Datacolor announced the launch of two new product bundles for photographers to manage their colour workflow: SpyderX Capture Pro and SpyderX Studio. Both include the recently launched SpyderX colour calibrator for monitors
- ColorChecker Passport software update The free X-Rite Colourchecker Passport software from X-Rite has been updated to V2 It supports camera DNG profiling, adding support for the the Colorchecker SG card and ICC profiling as well
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)