Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
Other index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Printing and paper
- Digital Black and White
- Photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper is an
X-Rite ‘Coloratti Master’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
- Adobe Camera Raw DNG profiles from a ColorChecker cardCamera profiling by using photographs of an X-Rite ColorChecker card to make DNG colour profiles for converting RAW files with Adobe software (ACR and Lightroom)
- What working space to use – colour management choicesWhat working space to use? Looking at some of the advantages and issues when choosing a working colour space. Which colour management choices matter?
- Better black and white profiling with the ColorMunkiUsing the Colormunki to create QuadToneRIP (QTR) linearising icc profiles for black and white printmaking. Smoother gradations and unblocked shadows
- Room lighting for image editingPaying some attention to the lighting levels and decoration in the areas where you edit photographs has a beneficial influence on quality and consistency
- Colour Management in your web browser – Test ImagesSome quick tests to see how colour management is being handled in your web browser. How images in different colour spaces look on your screen.
- Dual monitor calibration on Windows XP PCsSome of the issues associated with setting up dual monitor computers running Windows XP, when trying to profile and calibrate them
- Beware of the Colour Management Tar PitColour management is great for improving the editing and printing of your photographs. Just make sure you understand why, and how it won't fix everything
There are over 1100 free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are over 1100 free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
- Pantone Eye One Display LT reviewReview of the Eye One Display LT, a colorimeter for profiling and calibrating monitors and displays. Supplied by Pantone / GretagMacbeth (now X-Rite)
- Kodak Pro Color management check-up kitA review of the Kodak Pro Color management check-up kit, with test prints and test images for direct comparisons
- Review of PrintFIX PLUSReview of PrintFIX PLUS printer profiling. Looking at a novel software only solution for making icc printer profiles for supported printers.
- Printer icc profile editing in Eye One MatchA review of the printer icc profile editing functionality in Eye One Match. V3.4 of the software from GretagMacbeth (X-Rite) adds editing.
- Eizo CG210 CG211 LCD display reviewReview of the Eizo CG210 (CG211) LCD display 21" 1600x1200 14 bit monitor. Tested with Eizo ColorNavigator profiling software.
- Eye One Printer profilingA review of printer ICC profiling using the GretagMacbeth (X-Rite) eye one (i1 Pro) spectrophotometer and eye one match software.
- Profiling your scanner with the Eye OneUsing i1Match software and the GretagMacbeth (X-Rite) Eye One (i1) spectrophotometer to measure profiling targets for scanner profiling
- X-rite updates i1 Profileri1profiler updated.New features include the option to balance red, green and blue during monitor calibration, improved automatic monitor adjustment (ADC) during the calibration process, and support for Eizo ColorEdge displays.
- i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lioni1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lion by special Mac only update
- X-rite updates i1Profiler LicensePerhaps not something I'd normally report, but given all the kerfuffle over the i1Profiler EULA (license) when it came out, it's worth noting that they have retrospectively altered the license.
- A solution to the CS5 ‘no color management’ problemA solution to the CS5 'no color management' problem. Potential difficulties with printing if you want no colour management. The free Adobe Color Print Utility is made for printing profiling targets with colour management turned off.
- Latest i1Solutions from X-riteUpdated information about i1 Profiler capabilities. X-rite profiling options
- Datacolor SpyderCheckrProduct launch information: Datacolor SpyderCheckr. Datacolor have announced a new colour management tool in the form of the SpyderCheckr colour card
- DNG ProfileManager – organising DNG profilesDNG ProfileManager - organising DNG camera profiles. Making DNG profiles is a good way of working round awkward lighting conditions, where the trouble of making a full icc profile is perhaps not merited.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
We're an Amazon affiliate. so receive commission on any purchases you make
...Why not sign up for our (ad free) Newsletter to keep informed about new articles and subscribe to my YouTube Channel