Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
Other index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Printing and paper
- Digital Black and White
- Photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper is an
X-Rite ‘Coloratti Master’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
- What working space to use – colour management choicesWhat working space to use? Looking at some of the advantages and issues when choosing a working colour space. Which colour management choices matter?
- Better black and white profiling with the ColorMunkiUsing the Colormunki to create QuadToneRIP (QTR) linearising icc profiles for black and white printmaking. Smoother gradations and unblocked shadows
- Room lighting for image editingPaying some attention to the lighting levels and decoration in the areas where you edit photographs has a beneficial influence on quality and consistency
- Colour Management in your web browser – Test ImagesSome quick tests to see how colour management is being handled in your web browser. How images in different colour spaces look on your screen.
- Dual monitor calibration on Windows XP PCsSome of the issues associated with setting up dual monitor computers running Windows XP, when trying to profile and calibrate them
- Beware of the Colour Management Tar PitColour management is great for improving the editing and printing of your photographs. Just make sure you understand why, and how it won't fix everything
- Better pictures for your web siteSimple steps for improving the quality of photos used on your web site. Things that can make a real difference.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
- i1Display Pro Plus reviewLooking at the new i1Display Pro plus monitor calibration and profiling colorimeter. Adds high brightness screen support and BT.1886 gamma curve support. This is the top model of the i1Display range
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 plus reviewReview of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 Plus monitor, scanner and printer profiling package using the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer. Backlit printed materials can now be profiled, and the spectrophotometer has an M3 option for polarised measurements
- X-Rite i1iO reviewReview using the X-Rite i1iO automated patch reader for printer profiling using the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer and i1Profiler software. The robot arm accepts the original i1Pro and the i1Pro 2
- X-Rite ColorChecker Nano cardA very small Colorchecker card from X-Rite. It is sized at 25mm x 40mm for use in close-up and macro photography. Can be used to create colour profiles for cameras and all other applications of full size cards
- SpyderX Studio reviewReview of the Spyder X Studio kit from Datacolor. Includes the Spyder X Elite monitor calibrator, SpyderCube white balance and exposure tool and SpyderPrint printer profiling kit for creating ICC printer profiles
- ESDDI LED lighting Portable Photo Studio BoxESDDI Portable Photo Studio Box (20" x 20" - 50 x 50cm) with dimmable mains powered LED lighting (120 lights). Includes 4 colours of backdrop. Tabletop product photo box
- ESDDI LED ring lightESDDI 3200K - 5600K dimmable LED ring light. 14 inch diameter 40W mains powered with 2m adjustable support stand. 360 LEDs giving ~4000 lumens output.
- X-rite updates i1 Profileri1profiler updated.New features include the option to balance red, green and blue during monitor calibration, improved automatic monitor adjustment (ADC) during the calibration process, and support for Eizo ColorEdge displays.
- i1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lioni1 Display 2 and i1 Display LT to be supported for Mac OS 10.7 Lion by special Mac only update
- X-rite updates i1Profiler LicensePerhaps not something I'd normally report, but given all the kerfuffle over the i1Profiler EULA (license) when it came out, it's worth noting that they have retrospectively altered the license.
- A solution to the CS5 ‘no color management’ problemA solution to the CS5 'no color management' problem. Potential difficulties with printing if you want no colour management. The free Adobe Color Print Utility is made for printing profiling targets with colour management turned off.
- Latest i1Solutions from X-riteUpdated information about i1 Profiler capabilities. X-rite profiling options
- Datacolor SpyderCheckrProduct launch information: Datacolor SpyderCheckr. Datacolor have announced a new colour management tool in the form of the SpyderCheckr colour card
- DNG ProfileManager – organising DNG profilesDNG ProfileManager - organising DNG camera profiles. Making DNG profiles is a good way of working round awkward lighting conditions, where the trouble of making a full icc profile is perhaps not merited.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)