Based in Leicester, we can provide you with independent colour management advice in conjunction with our training activities
We work in Leicestershire, the UK East Midlands and throughout the UK.
Reviews and articles
We have a large collection of reviews, articles and tutorials on this site, designed to help improve your understanding of the subject. There are links to Keith Cooper’s colour management related articles further down this page.
Our expertise originally stems from our own need to produce the highest quality fine art prints and accurate digital capture of images.
We do not directly sell hardware or software, so our independent advice is usually aimed at helping fellow photographers get the best results.
We can demonstrate any of the many colour management devices and systems shown on this site.
If you are not sure of why you should be getting into colour management, call on us for a short chat?
We’re happy to offer direct advice as part of our commercial services.
Colour management is not rocket science – you -can- do a lot of it yourself.
We’re happy to provide our commercial photography clients with help and advice relating to colour management issues, both where where it relates to our work, and more general matters such as monitor calibration.
We are happy to include elements of colour management in our commercial photography training.
Keith also gives lectures and more general talks about the importance and use of colour management principles and techniques.
Other index pages
- Blog – news and articles
- Printing and paper
- Digital Black and White
- Photography book reviews
- Camera and printer rumours
- The business side of photography
- Tutorial and ‘How to’ articles
- Gallery of some of Keith’s prints
For even more detail, check the category listings and search box at the right of the page
Keith Cooper is an
X-Rite ‘Coloratti Master’
“X-Rite’s Coloratti includes the world’s top professional photographers, a group whose vision, passion, leadership, and partnership are recognized and valued by X-Rite. Coloratti photographers are highly respected by their peers and are admired by up-and-coming professionals, enthusiasts, and students alike.”
Keith regularly tests new equipment and software before release under NDA. Where permitted, this is always mentioned in our reviews and articles.
- Black and white linearisation with the i1Pro 3 Updated linearisation for black and white printing with the X-Rite i1Pro3 spectrophotometer. Using the free chart measurement features of i1Profiler. Includes files and data for incorporating test strips into printer test images
- Printer Test Images Collection of printer test images - colour and monochrome (black and white). Test photos for printer and monitor checking.
- Keith Cooper’s paper reviews Keith's photo paper reviews - collected data from all the papers for printing photos that we've tested over the years. Helpful if you can't get them where you live. Matt, satin, lustre and glossy
- Printing low megapixel images at large size Printing low megapixel images at large size, looking at resizing and image editing techniques that let you make larger prints than you thought possible. Getting good prints at A2 and 17" x 25" sizes
- Better photography by printing your work Better Photography from prints. Printing your photos is a useful skill to work on. 5 steps towards getting great prints that will help you improve all of your photography
- Lighting CRI with i1Profiler and the i1Pro Lighting CRI measurement using X-Rite i1Profiler software and the i1Pro spectrophotomenter, with the free Osram LED ColorCalculator software
- A photo print of some bright red flowers Making a photo print of some bright red cactus flowers. Looking at how colour spaces and gamut affects such strong colours. How making a basic print of a flower illustrates some printer, paper and colour management choices
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it.
We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
There are around a thousand free articles and reviews on the site - thanks to everyone who helps support it. We appreciate any purchases you make through our partners such as B&H which help us sustain the site.
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 review Review of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 monitor, scanner and printer profiling package using the i1Pro 3 spectrophotometer. Comparison with i1Pro 3 plus
- Rechargeable LED worklight for product photography A basic battery powered 15W LED worklight is tested for product photography. With over 3 hrs use on a charge, is the light quality good enough? The device doubles as a 6000mAh 22.2Wh USB powerbank
- i1Display Pro Plus review Looking at the new i1Display Pro plus monitor calibration and profiling colorimeter. Adds high brightness screen support and BT.1886 gamma curve support. This is the top model of the i1Display range
- X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 plus review Review of the X-Rite i1Photo Pro 3 Plus monitor, scanner and printer profiling package using the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer. Backlit printed materials can now be profiled, and the spectrophotometer has an M3 option for polarised measurements
- X-Rite i1iO review Review using the X-Rite i1iO automated patch reader for printer profiling using the i1 Pro 2 spectrophotometer and i1Profiler software. The robot arm accepts the original i1Pro and the i1Pro 2
- X-Rite ColorChecker Nano card A very small Colorchecker card from X-Rite. It is sized at 25mm x 40mm for use in close-up and macro photography. Can be used to create colour profiles for cameras and all other applications of full size cards
- SpyderX Studio review Review of the Spyder X Studio kit from Datacolor. Includes the Spyder X Elite monitor calibrator, SpyderCube white balance and exposure tool and SpyderPrint printer profiling kit for creating ICC printer profiles
- i1Photo Pro 3 launched X-Rite have launched a new version of the i1Pro spectrophotometer, the i1Pro 3. The i1Photo Pro 3 package includes the new device for calibration and profiling printers, cameras monitors and projectors
- X-Rite updates display calibrator range X-Rite has updated its display calibrator product range, including support for much brighter screens. Products are aimed at photographers and filmmakers
- X-Rite i1Pro 3 Plus options X-Rite announce the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer for imaging, print and textile markets, it is available in i1Basic and i1Profiler kit options for screen and print profiling
- X-Rite Announces i1Pro 3 Plus X-Rite announce the i1Pro 3 Plus spectrophotometer for imaging, print and textile markets. The device is optimised for measuring a wide variety of materials
- New X-Rite ColorChecker card sizes X-Rite have announced a range of new sizes for their industry standard ColorChecker cards. Sizes launched range from Nano to Mega (24x40mm to 100x152cm)
- Datacolor Spyder X bundles Datacolor announced the launch of two new product bundles for photographers to manage their colour workflow: SpyderX Capture Pro and SpyderX Studio. Both include the recently launched SpyderX colour calibrator for monitors
- ColorChecker Passport software update The free X-Rite Colourchecker Passport software from X-Rite has been updated to V2 It supports camera DNG profiling, adding support for the the Colorchecker SG card and ICC profiling as well
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)