Canon EOS 90D rumours
EOS 90D – the EOS 80D replacement
Rumours about the Canon EOS 90D DSLR
Rumours and information about the EOS 90D camera.
With the 80D launched in February 2016, it’s unlikely that there will be much to see here until 2018/19.
A good indicator of camera lifetimes and replacements is the Canon timeline a bit further down the page.
If you find the articles and reviews on our site interesting, any help towards the upkeep of the site would be great. Buying anything via our links costs you no more. Our articles will always be free so please consider supporting our site in some way?
If you get anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - Keith Link for: Amazon UK | Amazon US
|Best||Full||1Ds||1Ds Mk II||1Ds Mk III||1D X||1DX II|
|1.3||1D||1D Mk II||1D MkIIn||1D Mk III||1D Mk IV|
|5D||5D Mk II||5D Mk III||5D Mk IV|
|1.6||7D||7D Mk II|
|Micro||1.6||100D SL1 X7||200D SL2|
|Entry||1.6||1000D / XS / F||1100D / T3 / X50||1200D T5 X70||1300D T6||2000D T7|
Note: dates start in announcement quarter, not shipping dates. Video capable 4k
Digic | Digic 2 | Digic 3 dual | Digic 4 dual | Digic 5 dual | Digic 6 dual | Digic 7 dual | Digic 8
Latest 90D Rumours
Do you print photos? See my top ten reasons your prints come out wrong.
Based on all my printer reviews over the years and emails about print problems.
Never miss new articles/reviews – sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 max. per month)
21st Whilst there are suggestions around that the 90D is on its way this year, I’m afraid the lack of plausible specs or any other info around suggests it’s likely still many months away.
14th We’re still getting sent conflicting dates for a 90D (and 7D3) release – These range from June to spring 2019. Absolutely nothing so far I’d be prepared to put any money on.
With both the 80D and especially the 7D2 looking a bit old in the line-up there’s a suggestion [CR] that the two models will be split into three, with an intermediate camera of some sort (a high MP 7Ds or a video 7DC have once again been suggested – or 8D or 9D)
14th Looking at UK 80D prices [CPB], there’s been a bit of a jump (average £950 to £1050) after a steady decline and special offers last month. Given the fluctuations in currencies it’s difficult to see any signs of an imminent 80D replacement.
With the M50 including the Digic 8 processor, the 90D could well be the first DSLR to feature it. The inclusion of 4k video would show Canon taking a less conservative approach to model differentiation and bode well for a much higher spec 7D mk3
26th A few more mentions of a 90D later this year [CR] – the 7D2 is getting older though, but it’s been suggested that it’s being held back for a bigger leap (there was always some suggestion that this contributed to the longevity of the original 7D as well).
A look at the updated timeline above suggests that both the 80D and 7D2 are distinctly possible this year…
I’m minded to agree with CR that a 90D is more likely first, with a Digic 7 processor and putting a bit of space between it and the 77D. The timeline is always worth a look…
15th The new 77D pushes the 80D somewhat, but any 80D successor is probably a 2018 camera
18th No 90D info yet!
The 80D and EF-S 18-135 are announced – full specs and info on the 8oD page
2nd The 70D is announced:
The 70D page also has all the old xxD rumours going back quite a few years
– New 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor
– Dual Pixel CMOS AF
– Image processing engine DIGIC6
– Regular sensitivity ISO100-16000 (extension 25600)
– 7560 pixel RGB + IR metering sensor
– AF 45 points (all points cross type). 27 points @F8 -3EV
– Four of the AF area selection modes, including a new “L zone AF”
– Continuous shooting 7 frames / sec. 3 frames / second at the silent continuous shooting mode
– The number of pictures 77 copies in JPEG. 20 sheets in RAW
– Continuous shooting in live view mode 5 frames / sec. (AF tracking)
– New mirror vibration control system to keep the mirror shock (MVCS)
– Finder is 100% field of view, magnification 0.95 times
– Shutter 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds. Synchro 1/250 sec
– 3 inches 1.04 million dot Vari-angle LCD monitor
– Built-in flash (guide number 12)
– Electronic Level
– A new Picture Style “fine detail”
– 10 kinds of scene mode
– Video is full HD 60fps. AF tracking
– HDR movie
– Time-lapse movie
– Five types of movies Creative Filters
– Wi-Fi, NFC. Remote shooting
– Media SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I compatible)
– Durability of the shutter is 100,000 times
– USB terminal, HDMI terminal, microphone jack, headphone jack, remote control terminal
– Improved dust and water
– The battery LP-E6N / LP-E6
– Start-up time is 0.16 seconds
– EF-S18-135mm F3.5-5.6 enables remote shooting using the power zoom function in combination with IS USM and the power zoom adapter PZ-E1
– The size of 139.0 x 105.2 x 78.5mm
– Weight 730g (650g body only)
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our Newsletter (2-4 a month max.)
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)
If you start your buying of anything whatsoever from Amazon (not just what's listed) via one of our links below, it helps myself and Karen to keep the site going. We really do appreciate this - thanks