|Home||About us||Commercial Photography||Print Gallery||Articles/reviews/blog|
Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER 1.4x lens
A collection of information and reviews for Canon's new EF lens
We'll hopefully get one to look at eventually, but in the meantime here are the release specs and any info we find...
Introducing the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x – improved performance and versatility for professional sports and wildlife photographers
|Lens type||Zoom lens|
|Max Format size||35mm FF|
|Focal length||200–400 mm|
|Image stabilisation||Yes (4 stops claimed)|
|Lens mount||Canon EF|
|Number of diaphragm blades||9|
|Special elements / coatings||Fluorite and Ultra-Low dispersion glass elements, Sub-Wavelength Structure Coating and Super Spectra Coating|
|Minimum focus||2.00 m (78.74″)|
|Maximum magnification||0.15 x|
|Motor type||Ring-type ultrasonic|
|Full time manual||Yes|
|Focus distance limiter||3 positions: Full, 2m-6m, 6m-infinity|
|Weight||3620 g (7.98 lb)|
|Diameter||128 mm (5.04″)|
|Length||366 mm (14.41″)|
|Materials||Magnesium alloy barrel|
|Zoom method||Rotary (internal)|
|Filter thread||52 mm|
|Filter notes||Rear drop-in filter holder|
|Hood product code||ET-120 (WII)|
|Notes||Switchable built-in 1.4x extender (8 elements / 4 groups) converts lens to 280-560mm f/5.6 lens with 0.21x max magnification|
Pre Launch information
- Keith (Other ways to help the site)
Amazon UK link / Amazon France / Amazon Germany
Amazon USA link / Amazon Canada link
- Just in case you'd forgoten, the lens was first announced in February 2011, with a 'late 2011' availability...
- 13th There is a Canon event on the 31st, which has been mentioned for the release of the 200-400, but so was tomorrow... [CR]
- 27th A potential date for announcement - May 14th [CR] Availability in the Autumn - could this tie in with the info we had last week?
- 19th We're told (thanks) that the formal announcement of avallability for the 200-400 will run alongside a camera announcement, most likely the 7D mk2, in time for shipping of a few units in the Autumn. There are quite a lot of test units in circulation and despite there being no official price, a lot of lenses have been pre-ordered. If (and at £10k that's still a big if) the preorders are taken up, supplies will be very thin on the ground until well into 2014.
- 4th A video of the 200-400 being used is at LL
- 10th 'Soon' is redefined as production of the 200-400 starting in Q2/13 [CR] and at well over $10,000
- 3rd Canon Singapore is saying that the 200-400 will be available soon [CS-fb]
- 3rd The lens is possibly expected within months... [CR]
- 15th After mention of the delays, I've heard [thanks] from a couple of people who used the lens at the Olympics and Wimbledon, unfortunately they just said how well it worked, and how they really wanted to add one to their day to day equipment. Whatever the issues might be, they didn't notice (note that this is on a sample size of two, both with only relatively short use of the lens).
- Has anyone trying the 200-400 noticed any potential issues, maybe with the extender?
- The image below is from Bob Atkins' look at the 200-400 and shows the bulge for the extender
- Could the issues be related to the ergonomics of all those controls and the bump?
- 14th Still no sign of an announcement...
- Where is that 200-400 lens - suggestions [CR] that unforseen design/manufacturing issues have hit the product.
- 8th Looking for the 200-400? Even though not formally announced, it looks as if it's going to go for around 10,200 euros.
- How so?
- If you look at some sites, you'll find various bundle deals [FK] 1DX + 500/4 is 16498 whilst 1D X + 200-400 comes to 16668
- 22nd We're told [thanks] that the EF200-400 will finally be properly 'announced' for the PhotoPlus show in New York (Oct 24-27) and become available later this year.
- 31st Interesting positive report about using a 200-400 [PB]
- 17th If you're a CPS member covering the Olympics, then I'm told that there are several loan lenses available to try out...
- 3rd Seen at Wimbledon - launch 'soon' - Thanks for the pic! - Full res pic on Google+
- 29th More suggestions of an 'announcement' [CR] BTW, the lens was first mentioned on the 7th Feb, 2011
- 23rd With expectations of a 5D mk3 announcement on the 28th, there is also a price $11,000 and imminent release date for the 200-400 [CR]
- 23rd Just when I'm thinking there's still no sign of this lens getting a release date... and then it's seen in Kenya being tested with a new body that might be the 5D3 [AA] Launch in March/April.
- Lots more photos at AA
- 4th The 1D X and C300 (with lenses) have all been announced. Not even an official announcement yet for the 200-400.
- 27th The EF200-400 is not on the list of lens due dates, and we've been told that there is no more info about it until after it is formally announced - probably at the same time as other product announcements.
21st We're told that the £10k price listed at Park Cameras was an error - no price has as yet been given out by Canon.
19th A page appears at a UK dealer with a £10k price tag.
We'll see if we can get any more detailed info as to whether they think this is for real, or just a 'placeholder' value.
A new long zoom
Canon is developing the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x lens, which features a built-in switchable 1.4x teleconverter.
With the converter in place, it becomes a 280-560mm F5.6 lens. It's designed for sports and wildlife photographers and the lens will feature weatherproof construction.
It is scheduled for launch later this year. It's not known if it will make an appearance at this year's Focus On Imaging trade show in Birmingham (UK).
Price - unknown, but not cheap!
Awaited with interest :-)
Press Release - 7th February 2011, 05:00 GMT
Canon announces development of a new telephoto zoom lens with an integrated extender
United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, 7th February 2011 – Canon today announces the development of a telephoto zoom lens featuring an integrated focal length extender – the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER 1.4x The lens will be displayed for the first time during CP+, held in Yokohama, Japan.
Designed for Canon’s leading range of EOS Digital SLR cameras, the new lens will be an ideal addition for sports and wildlife photographers, offering exceptional flexibility with a built-in 1.4x extender that creates an increased focal range of 280 – 560mm.
Perfect for photographers who require high performance, fast aperture and a flexible telephoto range, the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER 1.4x will enable photographers to shoot a greater breadth of subjects using a single lens, delivering the best possible image quality at all focal lengths.
Developed as a new addition to Canon’s acclaimed L-series of professional lenses, the new lens will offer an unsurpassed combination of versatility, first-class optical performance and an enhanced weather-proof construction. The model will be released as part of Canon’s continued development of its EF lens line-up, offering enhanced performance and improved functions that cater for the needs of photographers from beginners through to professionals. Built for professional performance
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., February 7, 2011 – Canon Inc. today announced the development of a new super-telephoto lens, the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER l.4x, for use with all EOS SLR cameras. A prototype of the new lens will be exhibited at the CP+ tradeshow, held in Pacifico Yokohama, from February 9 – 12, 2011.
The EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXTENDER l.4x is being developed as an L-series super-telephoto lens with an integrated 1.4x extender and high-performance Image Stabilizer technology. The new lens will offer exceptional flexibility by incorporating a built-in 1.4x extender that increases the maximum focal length to 560mm for sports and wildlife photography. High-quality images with high levels of resolution and contrast will be possible through the use of advanced optical materials such as fluorite crystal. The new lens will also include dust- and water-resistant construction designed for extended usage under harsh conditions.
Canon will continue to respond to the needs of various users ranging from beginners and advanced amateurs to professional photographers, in an effort to enrich their photographic expression with SLR cameras by continuing to develop attractive new lenses with improved optical technology.
You can search all the hundreds of articles on the site for more information
Have you found an article on the site useful or helpful? If so, please consider sharing a link to the article or mentioning it on a forum - Thanks to everyone who's helped the site become better known. Explore our site... Digital Black and White photography and printing - some of Keiths thoughts, techniques and tips for those interested in a digital approach to black and white. New site content appears on the News, articles and reviews page. We've lots of original Photography Articles and Photography Reviews on the site to help anyone interested in photography.Thanks to the visitors who've made Amazon purchases (any kinds of items whatosever)
via: Amazon UK/Amazon France/Amazon Germany/Amazon USA/Amazon Canada
It won't save extra money we're afraid, but it does help in the running of the site, and we really appreciate it...
Commercial Photography - Architectural Photography - Industrial - Print Gallery - Landscape Photographer
Photography Training - Digital Black and White - Colour Management
Articles, reviews and blog - Canon Rumours - Contact Us