Before we send a photography quote
Photography: Before we send you a quote
What we’d like to know from you and what you get from us
If you’d like us to quote for some photographic work, there are a few things it would help us to know from you in order to best meet your needs.
There are also a few things you should know about our services and what we can do for you, when asking about our prices.
We’ve included some more details of what you’ll get for your money and a brief summary of our terms and conditions.
Remember that we also have a
Guide to our rates and prices
Your photography quote
If you’ve visited our prices page you’ll already know we have 4 price brackets and within those brackets we have hourly, half day and full day rates. We only ever charge for the time spent taking you photos, so your price will depend on the size of the job and your needs.
You can try and estimate how long we’ll take to complete your photos and therefore how much it will cost you, but we often find clients over-estimate how long it will take us so we always prefer to send a quotation.
We also offer project rates for extended work, but we don’t publish these prices on our website and only provide them as part of a formal quote once we know the details of the work.
What we need to know before we can send an accurate quote
- What exactly do you want us to photograph
- Where is the shoot is taking place – just a rough address (or addresses) is fine so we know if there are any travel costs we need to quote for
- Will the shoot involve multiple sites or products – if so, roughly how many
- Will the job require more than one visit – if so roughly how many and over what time scale
- What are you going to use the final images for – web, print, editorial, general promotion etc
- Will you be using your images for an international print/billboard marketing campaign
It would also be helpful if you could tell us …
- What your photographs need to communicate
- If you have a clear idea of how the photos should look – if you’ve got any examples to share with us that would be great
- If you’ll you be passing your photos onto a third party who are working on your behalf
- If you are you working on behalf of a third party
- What our deadline is for getting the job done for you
- If you have a set budget for the project
If you’re unsure about any of this, please do ask?
What we need to tell you
Here are some things you need to know about Northlight Images before asking us for a quotation.
The legal bit
Our full T&Cs can be found here and we do advise you take a look at them in their entirety, but – briefly – here’s some things you need to know know:
- Our payment terms are 28 days from the date of the invoice – which will be emailed to you once we’ve sent you your images
- Use of the images is dependent on payment of the invoice in full
- We always retain copyright but you will be provided with a generous Image Use License, which will usually allow you to use your images to promote your business via any medium – digital or print – for as long as you like
Obviously, if you’ve any specific requirements, please do ask for any clarification?
What you’ll get for your money
- All photography – your charge will be based on the time it takes us to get you the photos you want
- Processing of all your images – there’s no additional charge for standard processing which includes editing for colour balance, brightness, basic sharpening and, if necessary corrections for geometry
- Supply of ALL the images taken – as JPEGs and sent electronically. We believe you should have the opportunity to choose from a wide selection of images, although we’ll not send you anything that we don’t consider to be of an excellent technical standard – so nothing out of focus or badly lit
- A license to use your images – which will usually allow you to use your photos how you want, with no time restrictions
- We aim to store all of our original photo files.
- Post production advice – if you’re struggling to make best use of your images, let us know, we’re here to help
If we’ve not answered all your questions here, please just ask.
Unlike many photographers, we believe in providing
a guide to our rates
Keith Cooper does a lot of testing of new equipment and software directly for manufacturers. As well as giving the very latest technical expertise to our clients, it is part of our mission to help people improve and enjoy their own photography.
There are nearly a thousand free articles and reviews on this site.