Affinity Photo V1.6
Affinity Photo V1.6
Updates to speed and functionality
It’s been a busy time with updates to image editing software of late.
A strong contender in the ‘Adobe replacement’ stakes has been Affinity Photo, and the latest update has pushed it up into our viable options.
V1.6 piles on the features and for a short while offers a number of free extras if you buy.
Affinity Photo costs £49 / $50 / €55 and can be downloaded directly from Affinity.
Performance and large file capabilities are boosted. An interesting option is a ‘light’ user interface making the software less daunting to get into.
Enhancements include a stroke stabilisation mode for brushes and pencils, as well as better support for its Photoshop plug-in.
Features you’ll find in Affinity Photo 1.6:
- New light user interface option
- New stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
- New “Edit In” integration with Apple Photos
- Metal 2 accelerated view optimised for macOS High Sierra
- Improved view pan/zoom performance and
- Improved performance with large documents
- New font chooser dropdown with recents, used fonts and favourites
- New Glyph browser
- Align to key items
- Text frame vertical alignment options
- Fit frame to text
- Custom brush wet edges
- Outlier stacking mode
- Improved Photoshop Plugin support
- Improved Live Filters performance
- Many PDF export improvements including vector export of multi-stop gradients
- Numerous bug fixes and other improvements
List from Affinity
Affinity press info
Affinity 1.6 updates and free bonus content available now
We are thrilled to announce that both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer have just received a fantastic new update. And to celebrate for the next two weeks we are giving away a huge bundle of creative content free with every purchase!
Our apps continue to push the boundaries of professional creative software and this latest update raises the bar once again with a huge performance boost making them faster, smoother and more powerful than ever.
We’ve added valuable new features including a light UI mode, brush stabilisation and tons of useful performance improvements and enhancements. For more details check out our brand new product pages and the 1.6 feature video below, all created using artwork submitted by our very talented users.
Affinity apps are all about enabling you to work faster – whether it’s a quick design draft or photo edit, or a painstaking, complex document involving hundreds of layers or stacked images.
Our apps are already a trusted part of the workflow for creative professionals around the world. The latest versions build on those proven capabilities to deliver lightning speed, pinpoint accuracy and incredible processing power like never before.
Along-side the v1.6 update you will also receive:
Affinity Photo bonus content worth around £105
- Dirk Wüstenhagen Fine Art Texture Collection – 99 beautifully crafted, high-resolution textures
- Uplift Epic Skies Overlay – A versatile collection of 50 striking cloud overlays
- Macro Pack – A stunning set of image styles, light leaks and distortions
Affinity Designer bonus content worth around £60
- Frankentoon Texturizer Pro Brush Pack – Over 70 brushes created exclusively for Affinity Designer
- Tom Chalky Handcrafted Fonts & Textures – A huge bundle of stylish fonts and over 80 textures
- Grade UI Kit – More than 1000 fully-customisable elements, icons, panels and buttons
If you already own Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer this update is completely free, and to thank you for your support we’ve also made the free content available to existing users until 16 November when the special offer ends.
Mac customers can download the update right now from the Mac App Store and Windows customers will be prompted to update the next time they open their app. Once installed a link to the free content will appear on the app welcome screen (go to Help and select Welcome if it does not appear at start up).
If you don’t own them yet now is the perfect time to buy. The apps are available priced at £48.99 / $49.99 / 54,99€ each, which we think is great value for money ? the free content alone would cost more than the app, if bought separately. And remember there’s no subscription and future updates like this one are also included in the price!
It’s also worth noting our free trials have now been reset, so if you downloaded a trial in the early days and would like to see how far our apps have come, you can now download the trial from our website for a second time.
Never miss a new article or review - Sign up for our occasional (ad-free) Newsletter
Enjoyed this article?
All the latest articles/reviews and photo news items appear on Keith's Photo blog
We've a whole section of the site devoted to Digital Black and White photography and printing. It covers all of Keith's specialist articles and reviews.
For All about using tilt and shift - articles/reviews about tilt/shift lenses
Articles below by Keith (Google's picks for matching this page)